Current:Home > ScamsSafeX Pro Exchange|Alec Baldwin asks judge to dismiss involuntary manslaughter indictment in 'Rust' case -Capitatum
SafeX Pro Exchange|Alec Baldwin asks judge to dismiss involuntary manslaughter indictment in 'Rust' case
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 07:19:14
SANTA FE,SafeX Pro Exchange NEW MEXICO — Attorneys for Alec Baldwin urged a New Mexico judge on Thursday to dismiss a grand jury indictment against the actor in the fatal shooting of a cinematographer on the set of the Western movie "Rust."
His attorneys in a new court filing accused prosecutors of "unfairly stacking the deck" against Baldwin in grand jury proceedings that diverted attention away from exculpatory evidence and witnesses.
The indictment in January charged Baldwin with involuntary manslaughter in the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on Oct. 21, 2021, at a movie ranch on the outskirts of Santa Fe. Baldwin has pleaded not guilty to the charge.
That prevented the jury from asserting their obligation to hear testimony from director Joel Souza, who was wounded in the shooting while standing near Hutchins, as well as assistant director and safety coordinator Dave Halls and props master Sarah Zachry.
'Rust' movie shooting trialsWhat happens next for Alec Baldwin and his armorer?
"The grand jury did not receive the favorable or exculpatory testimony and documents that the state had an obligation to present," said the court motion signed by defense attorney Luke Nikas. "Nor was the grand jury told it had a right to review and the obligation to request this information."
The motion also asserts that the grand jury received inaccurate and one-sided testimony about the revolver involved in the fatal shooting.
"Rust" armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed was convicted by a jury last week in the shooting and is being held without bond pending an April sentencing hearing. Involuntary manslaughter carries a felony sentence of up to 18 months in prison and a $5,000 fine.
Baldwin was pointing a gun at cinematographer Halyna Hutchins when the revolver went off, killing Hutchins and injuring Souza. Baldwin has maintained that he pulled back the gun's hammer, but not the trigger.
Prosecutors blamed Gutierrez-Reed at a two-week trial for unwittingly bringing live ammunition onto the set of "Rust" where it was expressly prohibited. They also said she failed to follow basic gun-safety protocols.
Halls last year pleaded no contest to negligent handling of a firearm and completed a sentence of six months of unsupervised probation.
Baldwin is scheduled for trial in July.
veryGood! (4111)
Related
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- NFL playoff clinching scenarios for Week 16: Chiefs, Dolphins, Lions can secure berths
- A rebel attack on Burundi from neighboring Congo has left at least 20 dead, the government says
- A man is killed and a woman injured in a ‘targeted’ afternoon shooting at a Florida shopping mall
- 51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
- Bobbie Jean Carter, Sister of Nick and Aaron Carter, Dead at 41
- Man suspected of trying to steal items in Alaska shot by resident, authorities say
- Michigan State freshman point guard shot in leg while on holiday break in Illinois
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Biden signs executive order targeting financial facilitators of Russian defense industry
Ranking
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Lululemon’s End of Year Scores Are Here With $39 Leggings, $39 Belt Bags, and More Must-Haves
- Peso Pluma bests Taylor Swift, Bad Bunny for most streamed YouTube artist of 2023
- 12 Turkish soldiers have been killed over 2 days in clashes with Kurdish militants, authorities say
- Vance jokes he’s checking out his future VP plane while overlapping with Harris at Wisconsin airport
- How to refresh your online dating profile for 2024, according to a professional matchmaker
- Florida State sues the ACC: `This is all about having the option' to leave
- A rebel attack on Burundi from neighboring Congo has left at least 20 dead, the government says
Recommendation
Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
In Mexico, piñatas are not just child’s play. They’re a 400-year-old tradition
Multiple people injured in what authorities describe as ‘active shooting’ at Florida shopping mall
Trump asking allies about possibility of Nikki Haley for vice president
$1 Frostys: Wendy's celebrates end of summer with sweet deal
Connecticut man is killed when his construction truck snags overhead cables, brings down transformer
Where to watch 'Die Hard' this Christmas: Cast, streaming info, TV airtimes
Florida woman captures Everglades alligator eating python. Wildlife enthusiasts rejoice